The ideas expressed below are not endorsed by or representative of the U.S. Peace Corps.

Also, I'm aware that "obviousment" is technically not an officially accepted French word.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Back with my stage!

A friend of mine from college is also off to join the Peace Corps in West Africa in the next week or so, and the announcement of her upcoming departure got me thinking about all of the things that I wish I had known before coming (about both what to bring and in general). Conveniently, this week marks the three month anniversary of heading to our posts, all of my friends from training and I are together for our In-Service-Training Conference. So far it’s been great-filled with emotional reunions and lots of sharing and learning about each other’s posts. But it also provided an opportunity to gather information from my friends about what they wish they had known, and I compiled a little list. People were much more forthcoming about the things that we wish we had brought (and many of the things on the list ended up being sent from home), but a few people shared some ideas that they have been thinking about over the past few months. I’m not sure if anyone reading this blog is planning to head to West Africa for two years anytime soon, but I thought that the list of our “essentials” might be interesting for anyone wondering what types of things are practical here. I also left the advice at the end. Sorry about the clichés represented there.
            Also, I just want to report that we’re staying at this incredible hotel and are living the good life for these two weeks. I took a bath today. So indulgent. Not even sorry.

Essentials

·      Ziploc bags
·      Travel/camping underwear(?)
·      Nice pens (blue is preferred)
·      Kindle
·      Granola bars/Cliff bars
·      Peanut butter
·      Hammock
·      Crystal light
·      Spices
·      Sleeping bag/sleeping sack
·      Pocketknife
·      Kindle/other e-reader
·      HEADLAMP (literally the best thing I brought)
·      Diva Cup (preferably that you know how to use)
·      Hard drive
·      USB drive (x2)
·      Loofah
·      Nail care set
·      Warmer clothes than you think you’ll need
·      Lots of deodorant
·      Lots of underwear (running out is not worth stressing over…)
·      French press
·      Water bottles
·      CHOCOLATE
·      Non-stick pan
·      Tupperware
·      Duct tape
·      Quick-dry clothing
·      Rubber spatula
·      Solar powered lantern (I would wait on this one-I’ve seen them sold here)
·      Measuring cups/spoons
·      Pepper grinder
·      Good chef’s knife/knife sharpener
·      Quick-dry towel
·      Things for hobbies (including those you think you might start-we have lots of spare time here…)
·      Contact solution (PC admin doesn’t recommend it but some volunteers wear contacts anyway)
·      Spandex shorts/leggings to wear under dresses
·      Rain jacket
·      One outfit that makes you happy, even if you think you won’t wear it (e.g. flannel…)
·      Camera
·      Decent belt
·      Sun hat
·      Dr. Bronner’s soap, good sunscreen for face
·      Favorite tea-comfort moment

I know this is kind of a lot of things, but everyone has their own preferences and I figured I’d err on the side of too much and let you decide what you think you might need/want. Also I live in a city (and thus my view is pretty biased) but I’m routinely surprised by the number of things I can find here.

And some words of “wisdom”:
“You are stronger than you think you are-there are high highs and low lows in the Peace Corps”.
“Write down your reasons for wanting to do this and revisit them often”
“You may realize (potentially quickly) that you’ve found yourself in West Africa with a pack of crazies. And then you realize that you love them and wouldn’t survive here without them in your life”.

TL,DR: Some pro tips for visitors to West Africa from my stage, and life is good at the moment!


No comments:

Post a Comment