The ideas expressed below are not endorsed by or representative of the U.S. Peace Corps.

Also, I'm aware that "obviousment" is technically not an officially accepted French word.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Fleeing the Desert and Hitting the Beach


This past week I finally made it to the beach and headed to Limbe in the Southwest Region for the National Girl’s Forum. The event is in its third year and each attending Peace Corps Volunteer brings a counterpart and girl from their respective post. The conference focuses on issues specific to girl children in Cameroon, and this year’s theme was “A Future for Girls”. I travelled down with my counterpart Aisha (also my next door neighbor), and my friend’s daughter, Kelly. In Cameroon, youth are classified as being below the age of 35, but this conference limited invitees to those between the ages of 14-24. I invited Kelly before these age limitations were announced, so at age 12 she was much younger than many of the girl participants, a few of who were older than me. This conference provided yet another example of how different my life would have been had I been born in Cameroon. One of the girl participants brought her 18-month-old child and another was seven months pregnant. The sessions covered topics such as avoiding sugar daddies and delaying sex, (which is why I had thought that a 12 year old was in the intended demographic) topics that don’t quite seem applicable to my peers.
            But the conference and the week in Limbe were a wonderful break from Bamenda and finally provided me with some beach time. Unfortunately, I’m something of a baby when it comes to the ocean (so many waves!), but the water was gloriously warm and we all had a great time splashing around. Many of the Cameroonian girls didn’t know how to swim but I was proud to see that Kelly wasn’t in that category and was quite comfortable in the water.
            As great as our time in the water was, my favorite part would have to be the meals we ate on the beach. There were stands of mamas frying up fresh fish and they brought them right to our table on the beach. It’s been something of a struggle, but I think I’m finally figuring out how to eat a fish that hasn’t been deboned. Hopefully before I leave Cameroon I will have learned how to do it nearly as gracefully as most Cameroonians.
            The only downside to the trip came on the last day, when I decided to brave what looked like gentle surf and head out to swim with my friends. I should have known that the ocean always wins. As I was making my way out I found myself in that terrible part where all the waves are breaking just as a big (well, big enough) wave came in. The next thing I knew I was underwater and although it felt like much longer, I popped out a second later only coughing a little bit. My pride at surviving what had been my big fear all week was quickly replaced by panic when I realized that the ocean had taken my glasses along with my trust. Our search was completely fruitless and I resigned myself to dealing with a blurry trip back as penance for wearing my glasses in the ocean. Of course, I quickly found my contacts that I had brought when I packing up to leave. Too little, too late.  
            On the way back I made a small detour to visit my friend Lauren in Buea, which is the capital city of the Southwest Region and quite close to Limbe. It was great to see her and a taste of Limbe and she even took us to a semi-legitimate ice cream parlor. Sometimes Cameroon is pretty surprising. The trip back was a little brutal, as my friend Rachelle and I braved the car park and found ourselves on a 30 person coaster with 36 or so other people. Each row was supposed to hold four people, but here they hold five. And that’s not even including any children sitting on laps. Children don’t count as people in this country, at least not when it comes to public transport. It was more than cozy, and took the better part of eight hours. Luckily, Cameroon provides ample scenery and the trip passed without incident.
            The day after I returned from Buea marked the first night of Passover. Unsurprisingly, there was no seder in Bamenda for me to attend, but it seemed strange to let the occasion pass without some kind of celebration. Luckily, I have tolerant and adventurous postmates and they let me throw my own mini-seder at their house. We had to make some adjustments-no available cocoa powder meant that we made macaroons instead of flourless chocolate cake, as was the original plan. But the biggest hiccup came when we started our attempt at homemade matzah and found a large population of weevils in the flour. As Cynthia put it, they had created their own little ecosystem in there. There were so many that the standard Cameroonian procedure of sifting all flour through fine mesh was insufficient-the worms and larvae made their way through. But no matter, we had a fine dinner and even managed something resembling a Seder plate, complete with charoset. Why is this year different from all other years…?   


TL,DR: Girl’s forum was a huge success and all the participants learned a lot. Personally, I learned that my fear of the ocean is completely justified. You never know when or how it’s going to strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment