The ideas expressed below are not endorsed by or representative of the U.S. Peace Corps.

Also, I'm aware that "obviousment" is technically not an officially accepted French word.

Monday, July 14, 2014

...but it was 500 francs!

To put it bluntly, Cameroon is taking a toll on my wardrobe. I packed my suitcases up with all of the clothes that I thought I would need for two years, and in America, it probably would have sufficed. But life here is hard on clothing, and my wardrobe is actively transitioning from things I brought with me to things that I bought or had made here. The most common reason for clothing retirement is excessive staining; between the dusty dry season and the muddy wet season, there doesn’t seem to be any clean season. This wouldn’t be too much of a problemif my hand-washing skills were up to par. I’m constantly impressed by the skill displayed by Cameroonian mamas (and their children!), but my former dependency on a washing machine means that I’ve still got a ways to go. Luckily, it’s quite easy (and cheap) to get new clothing here. There are two main ways to go about it-hitting the fripperie, and having clothes custom-made.
My preferred method is to abandon Western clothing and go the custom-made route. This is a two-step process: first you must go to the market and purchase your desired fabric (usually African-made pagne) and then you take it to the tailor and give instructions about what form it should take. This sounds simple and in theory, it is. But a trip to the fabric section of Main Market is one of the more overwhelming experiences that I’ve had so far in Cameroon. There are easily thousands of patterns to choose from, and over two dozen stalls selling them. Pagne comes in pieces measuring six yards, but I often try to convince the merchant to sell me a two yard piece, which is all that most clothing articles require. Two yards will run you about 2,500 francs, or about $5.
I’m lucky in that Titus, my tailor, has worked with Peace Corps Volunteers for many years. He’s used to dealing with Americans and other foreigners and is well versed in the types of clothing that we tend to request. I had never had a piece of clothing custom-made before I came to Cameroon, and I’m still not over the novelty of it.  It always fits, and you get to decide exactly how you want it to turn out! What could be better? Tailoring for a given article of clothing usually costs between 2,000-5,000 francs, depending on the complexity of the pattern. Added to the cost of the fabric, you’re looking at about $9-15 for a custom-made item of clothing. That’s a lot more money here than it is back home, but I usually think that the end result is more than worth the cost. An unexpected bonus aspect of having custom clothing made is the potential to get matching outfits with friends or for special occasions. It’s quite common to see groups of people heading to a particular event all dressed in the same fabric. As my brother can attest to, I’m always down to get matching outfits. It hasn’t gotten old yet, that’s for sure. 
But as fun as it is to wear pagne, this blog post was supposed to be primarily about the joys of “fripping”-shopping at the fripperie.  I haven’t been to the frip in a while, but I was inspired to write this post after seeing a video that a group of Cameroon PCVs made entitled “Frip Shop” and set to Macklemore’s Thrift Shop. You’ll have to excuse the semi-dated reference, as most of us haven’t been in America for a while. But the parody works quite well, as the frip is a general term for an outdoor used clothes market here. Every city and town has one, although the size varies with the population of the area. Bamenda’s frip is huge and completely overwhelming, as it is (in keeping with the general theme of the country) fairly chaotic and full of possibilities. Potential buyers paw their way through the giant piles of clothing that sit on the floor, and prices vary widely. Most items found in piles can be purchased for less than 500 francs ($1), and some of the nicer things that are hung up on display can go for anywhere between 1,000-3,000 francs. Of course it’s important to remember that these are prices that I’ve been faced with; it’s anyone’s guess how much I would pay as a Cameroonian. Price negotiation is alive and well at the frip; I’m lucky that bargaining was one of the few topics that I remember from my Pidgin classes back in training.
The Bamenda frip is large enough that I haven’t gotten to know any of the sellers that well. In a smaller village though, it’s a different story. One of my friends is such a regular at her local frip that the mamas selling there pick out things that they think she’ll like. More often than not, they’re right. If you ever want to try out being a celebrity, go join the Peace Corps. Although I don’t have any personal shoppers in Bamenda, the quantity and variety of clothing that I’ve seen here is completely staggering. If a type of clothing was ever in style anywhere in the world, it’s currently being sold on the streets of Bamenda (and likely the rest of Africa). It’s a lot to take in.

And if you’re interested in what Cameroon PCVs do when stuck in the Yaoundé case, check out the video here. I found it amusing, but my new postmate Lexi thinks that you have to be here (or have been here) to appreciate it.  I guess you can be the judge of that.but it  

No comments:

Post a Comment